I can’t tell you how many times a potential client has emailed us to say they need a new website, and the two questions we hear straight away before anything are are: “How much will it cost just to redesign my site, oh and how quickly can it go live?”
The problem is that whether you are looking at a brand new website or a website redesign, this is an opportunity for so much more. Budget and turnaround time are significant of course, but if you don’t answer some fundamental questions before undertaking such a major element of your marketing, you are doomed to fail.
It is a chance to audit the sites assets, goals, user experience and user interface to ensure you know what your site needs to do, and who you are doing it for. A purely cosmetic makeover won’t accomplish this.
We have put together this list of questions to ask yourself before you start any website project. If you have the answers to these fundamental issues, you will be in a great position at the start of your project. Not only will it help you, but also your chosen design agency give you the best solution that not only looks great but generates those all important leads.
- Why do you need a new website?
- What is your businesses UVP (unique value proposition)
- What is the purpose of the website?
- What are you S.M.A.R.T. goals?
(It’s helpful to set SMART goals as it keeps all of us on the same page and moving in the same direction. IE: Goals that are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound. EG: 20% increase in sales in 6 months, 30% increase in membership this year, reduce admin costs by 15% in 3 months.)
- Is there anything about your current site that serves the business well and if so, why?
- Who are they?
- How old are they?
- What gender are they?
- Where do they hang out online?
- What are their interests?
- What are the top 5 reasons your ideal customer will visit your website?
(EG: research product information, get contact details, ask questions about services, pricing)
- How do you want people to feel when they interact with your brand? Safe and secure, edgy and excited, exclusive and fresh, like they belong?
- Do your competitors have websites?
- Who else is competing for the attention of your ideal customer and what are they doing that you think is working?
- Are there any other websites in particular that you like the design of? Why?
What Does Success Look Like?
- If we were to be celebrating a successful website strategy in 12 months time, what would that have to look like? How many website visitors? How many leads? How many sales? Be as descriptive as you possibly can.
We feel these core questions can pretty much tell us everything we need to know to get the ball rolling on any website design project.
We hope you find it useful and as ever, if you have any questions, you can call us on 01604 581042 or contact us