Our clients often ask if WordPress is good for SEO?
The answer is a resounding yes! It is one of the reasons we use WordPress as our CMS of choice.
It has a reputation for being the number one CMS with a solid foundation for SEO and for good reason. It is of no surprise that WordPress websites get indexed very quickly and tend to rank highly.
In this article, we run you through the main reasons why it makes WordPress the number one choice for good SEO optimization.
SEO friendly out-of-the-box
- HTML Markup – Although WordPress is written in PHP, it outputs all the webpages as HTML pages that are really well structured and easily understandable by Google and all search engines.
- SEO Friendly Permalinks – WordPress comes with the ability to produce ‘pretty permalinks’. This means that unlike some other CMS systems where your page URL may be “www.timstoolshed/id=27”, it instead allows you to control the keywords that the page outputs to. For example “www.timstoolshed/services”. This is totally under your control and is massively beneficial for SEO.
- Title tag and headings – The title of your web page (which is usually wrapped in h1 tags) is one of the most important on-page factors for ranking a keyword. It lets Google know what keyword is important on the page, and alongside h2, h3 etc it gives the page structure.
- Really easy content creation – Inbound marketing or just plain old ‘Content’ has become the tool to stand apart in search engines. Instead of pitching your products or services, you are providing truly relevant and useful content to your prospects and customers to help them solve their issues. WordPress makes creating quality content as easy as using a word processor. Multimedia content support like audio, imagery and videos are built-in.
- Image optimization – You have full control over the ALT tags and descriptions which is vitally important for SEO.
- Pings Google – When you produce a new post, WordPress automatically lets Google know this. So every time your you update your content it will be updated to major search engines like Google, Bing and other ping servers.
All this on its own is pretty good right? And these are just the standard features that come with the core product. It does not take into account all the things you can easily add to it, to take it to another level.
In addition to the strong feature set of the core product, WordPress has literally thousands of free plugins in it’s WordPress Plugins Repository. There are a variety of amazing free SEO plugins such as Yoast SEO, All-In-One SEO and The SEO Framework.
These plugins help you with more advanced SEO tactics that will help you even more. For example, Yoast SEO will provide you with a detailed breakdown of how you can improve the on-page SEO of any page or post you create. It also allows you to add navigational breadcrumbs, edit your robots.txt file, provide XML site maps for Google, the list goes on and on!
All the above stuff is great, but if you need the skills of an experienced web developer, it really isn’t much use. Thankfully quite the opposite is the case. WordPress is so user-friendly that just about anyone with no coding knowledge can pick it up and implement all the SEO goodness we have mentioned so far.
WordPress is good for your rankings
With search engines continuing to be the main source of traffic for most websites, SEO continues to be an important topic. For that very reason, if you want to rank highly in Google and other search engines, your best bet is to use a platform that can help you do so.
WordPress is now a mature platform that now powers over 30% of all websites. To be exact, WordPress is the engine behind 30.3% of all websites. WordPress plays nice with Google and other search engines, has loads of themes and plugins for advanced SEO optimization, is fast and mobile friendly, community supported, secure and easy to learn.
In short, WordPress is the perfect platform to keep Google happy and make sure your website ranks well. If your goal is to reach the number one spot for your keyword in Google, then WordPress is a no -brainer as your CMS platform of choice.
Let Us Help You…
Brothers Creative works in partnership with businesses all sizes to create some of the best WordPress websites in the U.K. We are a WordPress Agency you can rely on.